Jun 222017
 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Thursday condemned drone strikes on its soil as violations of sovereignty, after US officials suggested Washington might ramp them up against militants. The foreign office statement also came a day after an Iranian drone was shot down near the border. US officials told Reuters this week Washington was hardening its stance towards Pakistan, and a new policy on Afghanistan could see an increase in drone attacks.. “Our position is that drone strikes are counter-productive and violate the sovereignty of Pakistan,” foreign ministry spokesperson Nafees Zakaria said on Thursday in response to the Reuters report. Pakistan confirms shooting down Iranian drone The United States has been carrying out such airstrikes for more than a decade. The attacks have slowed to a trickle in the past 18 months. Pakistan has received more than $33 billion in US assistance since 2002, but some aid was withheld last year. US officials have said the Trump administration is also considering withholding some assistance. “Pakistan attaches importance to its relationship with the US,” Zakaria said. “We firmly believe that continued close cooperation between our two countries is critical for promoting peace and security in the region and beyond.” On Wednesday, an unmanned Iranian drone flying over Balochistan was shot down. Trump seen hardening line toward Pakistan after Afghan war review The incident followed warnings by Tehran that it would strike against militants carrying out cross-border attacks. Ten Iranian border guards were killed by militants in April. Iran claimed Jaish al Adl, a Sunni militant group, had shot them from [Read More…]

Jun 182017
 
Mayweather says fight with McGregor is what people want

LOS ANGELES: Boxing legend Floyd Mayweather says he has no problem coming out of retirement to fight mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor in what some are predicting will be one of the richest fights in history.  “McGregor is a tough competitor.  People all around the world demanded this fight so I had to give them what they wanted to see,” Mayweather told BSOTV in an interview that aired Saturday.  “They asked for this fight. I was in retirement, but they wanted me back and I´m back.” Mayweather was making his first public comments since Wednesday´s announcement of the much-discussed fight which will take place August 26 in the US boxing capital of Las Vegas.   The 40-year-old Mayweather has been retired since beating Andre Berto in September 2015 and improving his career record to 49-0. The matchup with McGregor gives Mayweather a chance to reach the 50-0 career milestone.  Asked about financial details of the fight, Mayweather said both sides are pleased.  “Both parties are very happy,” Mayweather said.  “He´s very happy, I´m very happy and I can´t wait.” But many boxing experts have slammed the event as an exhibition spectacle, pointing to the fact that the 28-year-old McGregor has never had a professional boxing match and only dabbled in the sport as a teenager.  The pair have yet to get together face-to-face since the announcement but they are expected to announce a promotional tour soon that will take them to a couple of major US cities.  “You´re supposed to [Read More…]

Get Adobe Flash player