Jul 172017
 

CAIRO: Egypt is standing by the list of demands it and three Gulf Arab countries made of Qatar and will keep sanctions against Doha in place, Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry told his Kuwaiti counterpart on Monday. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt imposed sanctions on Qatar on June 5, cutting diplomatic and transport ties with the tiny Gulf monarchy, after accusing it of financing militant groups and allying with their regional arch-foe Iran. Doha denies the accusations. Kuwait has been leading mediation efforts between Qatar and the four Arab states boycotting it. Its top diplomat Sheikh Sabah al-Khalid al-Sabah met Shoukry and President Abdel Fattah al Sisi in Cairo on Monday. “The Foreign Minister affirmed to his Kuwaiti counterpart Egypt’s commitment to the list of demands presented to the state of Qatar and the continuation of sanctions taken against it,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ahmed Abu Zeid said in a statement. UAE wants international monitoring of Qatar The insistence comes “in light of what the quartet states see as Qatar’s stalling and procrastination, and lack of concern for the concerns of the four states,” he said. Shoukry told Sabah the only way the crisis would be resolved was if Qatar fulfilled the demands, which include curtailing its support for the Muslim Brotherhood, shutting down the pan-Arab al Jazeera satellite TV channel, closing a Turkish military base and downgrading its relations with rival Iran. Sisi told Sabah he appreciated what Kuwait’s Emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber al-Sabah was doing to [Read More…]

Feb 252017
 

CAIRO, EGYPT: British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said he looked forward to boosting trade with Egypt in a meeting with President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in Cairo on Saturday, the presidency said. It is Johnson’s first visit as foreign secretary to Egypt, where UK company investments reached $30 billion in 2016, according to Britain’s Foreign Office. The visit came as Egypt pushes for a resumption of British flights to Sharm el-Sheikh, which were suspended following a militant bombing that killed 224 holidaymakers on board a Russian airliner departing the resort. UK foreign minister no longer has US citizenship “The two sides emphasised they would continue working on resuming flights from British airports to Sharm el-Sheikh,” the presidency said in a statement. Russia had suspended all flights to Egypt after the October 2015 bombing claimed by the Islamic State group. In the meeting Johnson said his country “looked forward to boosting economic and trade cooperation with Egypt,” the statement said. Earlier in February, the UK prime minister’s trade envoy Sir Jeffrey Donaldson visited Egypt with an economic delegation The post British FM Johnson talks trade with Egypt’s Sisi appeared first on The Express Tribune. Click for detailed story

Get Adobe Flash player