Aug 172017
 
Bolt reveals injury details and rounds on doubters

LONDON: Usain Bolt delivered a rebuke those who questioned whether he really suffered an injury in his farewell race at the World Athletics Championships by revealing details of his hamstring tear on Thursday. The Jamaican, stung by speculation that he had pulled up in the anchor leg of the 4 x 100 metres relay final in London on Saturday because he was too far behind to win the race, said the injury would need three months of rehabilitation. Accompanied by an x-ray of the injury to his left hamstring, the eight-times Olympics gold medallist was also adamant in social media posts that he never cheated his fans.The 30-year-old explained on Twitter: “Sadly I have tear of the proximal myotendineous junction of biceps femoris in my left hamstring with partial retraction. “I don’t usually release my medical report to the public but sadly I have sat and listened to people questioning if I was really injured. I have never been one to cheat my fans in any way & my entire desire at the championship was run one last time for my fans. Thanks for the continued support my fans and I rest, heal and move onto the next chapter of my life #Love&LoveAlone.” Bolt had been three metres down on the two leaders as he took on the last leg of the relay, which was won by Britain, only to pull up sharply and fall to the ground.He speculated on Sunday that the injury might have been caused by having [Read More…]

Aug 142017
 
Former Pakistani PM Turns To Court To Challenge His Removal From Office

Former Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has filed petitions with the country’s Supreme Court challenging his disqualification from office over undeclared assets.Environment Minister Mushahidullah Khan, who is also a member of Sharif’s party, said on August 15 that three petitions have been filed with the court by the former premier’s lawyers.“It is our right to seek a review,” the Reuters news agency quoted Jan Achakzai, an official at the ruling PML-N party, as saying. “People of Pakistan haven’t accepted the decision.”Sharif, 67, resigned during his third term as prime minister shortly after the same court ruled on July 28 that he should be disqualified and ordered a criminal probe into his family’s wealth.The investigation stemmed from the so-called Panama Papers leaks in April 2016, when documents from a Panama-based law firm revealed that three of Sharif’s four children owned offshore companies and used them to buy properties in London.According to Achakzai, the appeals seek a review of the disqualification on the fact that two of the five Supreme Court judges, who had already given a dissenting note in an April verdict ruling, were not supposed to sit on the panel that gave the final ruling in July.Within days of the court decision, Sharif moved quickly to have the PML-N’s strong majority in parliament approve Shahid Khaqan Abbasi as his replacement.Sharif held a series of rallies across the country last week, criticizing the court ruling and seeking to whip up popular support.Copyright (c) 2015. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of [Read More…]

Aug 032017
 
De Grasse to miss Worlds with torn hamstring

OTTAWA, Candada: Canadian sprinter Andre De Grasse suffered a torn hamstring in training and will not compete at the IAAF World Championships in London, Athletics Canada announced on Wednesday. The 22-year-old from suburban Toronto, who took silver in the 200 metres and bronze in the 100 at last year’s Rio Olympics, was expected to challenge Usain Bolt for gold in London, where the meet begins Friday. It was not revealed on which leg De Grasse suffered the torn hamstring, which happened in a Monday training run. A second opinion on Wednesday confirmed the diagnosis, leading to his decision to withdraw from the Worlds.“I am sad to miss this chance but I am young and will be back and better than ever in the near future,” De Grasse said.  Click for detailed story

Jul 232017
 
Women?s 50km race walk added to London 2017

PARIS: A women’s 50km race walk will feature at the London 2017 world athletics championships for the first time in order to ensure gender equality, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) said on Sunday. Previously, women only competed in a 20km race walk in the competition and the Olympic Games, while men competed over the same distance and in a 50km event.The women’s 50km race walk was only recognised by the IAAF as an official event from January of this year. In a statement on the IAAF website (www.iaaf.org), president Sebastian Coe said that the decision had come about due to pressure from a small group of athletes.“(The) IAAF Council’s decision to create a new 50km race walk competition for women with separate results and prize money at the world championships in London follows the 2016 IAAF Race Walking Team Championships in Rome, where one female athlete from the USA joined her four male team mates,” said Coe. “There has been equal prize money for men and women at the IAAF world championships since the introduction of financial rewards in the early 1990s and this decision brings gender equality in terms of competition opportunity too.” Athletes will have to achieve an entry standard time of 4 hours, 30 minutes by July 25 in order to compete in the event, which will take place at the same time as the men’s race on August 13. —Reuters Click for detailed story

Jul 142017
 
Mayweather, McGregor clash over racism

LONDON: Conor McGregor celebrated his 29th birthday by defending himself against accusations of racism during a media tour to promote his fight with Floyd Mayweather in London on Friday.The Irish mixed martial arts fighter went on the defensive at the fourth press conference in as many days with American Mayweather at the SSE Arena, Wembley.The pair meet in a light-middleweight boxing contest at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on August 26 in what could be boxing’s richest ever fight.But the event has received some negative publicity since McGregor said to Mayweather at a press conference in Los Angeles on Tuesday, “Dance for me, boy”.‘Racism still exists’“If he feels disrespected, he’s an idiot and **** him as well,” McGregor told reporters at a press conference.“I think it’s ****ing ridiculous. I don’t understand it. I know who I am as a person. Most realistic people can see that. He’s trying to sway something by (saying I’m) disrespecting women.” Mayweather to quit boxing for good after McGregor boutThere was no chance of him fighting again after he climbs into the ring with mixed martial arts star McGregor Before going on stage in London, American Mayweather criticised McGregor for what he perceived were racists comments made by the Irishman.“Racism still exists,” said Mayweather, adding, “I’ve got a diverse team. It’s all about treating people how you want to be treated. You have to give respect to give it back.“He totally disrespected black women, he called black people monkeys and he was disrespectful to [Read More…]

Jul 142017
 

LONDON: British police arrested a teenager on Friday after five acid attacks in less than 90 minutes across east London left several people with facial burns, including one with horrific injuries. Two assailants on a moped pulled up alongside a 32-year-old man in the Hackney area of east London at 2125 GMT on Thursday and threw acid in his face before one of the pair made off with the victim’s moped. In the next hour and a half, three other men across Hackney and one in the neighbouring borough of Islington had corrosive substances hurled at them, police said. Tamim refutes reports of acid attack on wife in UK After one of the robberies in Hackney, a man was left with facial injuries described by police as life-changing. “A male in his teens has been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and robbery,” the London police service said. “He is currently in custody at an east London police station.” Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said that while still relatively rare, the number of acid attacks appeared to have risen in the capital. Teen arrested in London after multiple acid attacks “I don’t want people to think that this is happening all over London all of the time – it’s really not, but we are concerned because the numbers appear to be going up,” Dick told the LBC radio station in an interview. “Acid attacks are completely barbaric,” Dick said. “The acid can cause horrendous injuries. The ones last night involved [Read More…]

Jun 292017
 

A new study by Cardiff University has determined that Twitter can be used to identify dangerous situations up to an hour faster than police reports. Using the help of Twitter, researchers from Cardiff University used algorithms to analyse 1.6 million tweets from the London riots in 2011. Results showed that by scanning Twitter, the algorithms could have detected trouble in Enfield in 2011, which escalated to full fledge riots, an hour and 23 minutes before police were alerted. The system noted the location the tweets were posted from and cross-checked it with the time they were posted along with its content. This data could help authorities quickly be routed to locations where events were going on and possibly prevent more from erupting. Twitter eases 140-character limit for tweets The report maintains that social media sites can be used as a pool for reported incidents as users take to social media to report any kind of incident. “In this research, we show that online social media are becoming the go-to place to report observations of everyday occurrences, including social disorder and terrestrial criminal activity,” according to Pete Burnap, a co-author of the study. However, the researchers made it clear that such systems are more suited to detect large-scale scattered incidents rather than minor incidents, and can ‘never’ be used to as an alternate to traditional policing systems. “We will never replace traditional policing resource on the ground but we have demonstrated that this research could augment existing intelligence gathering and draw on [Read More…]

Jun 232017
 
14 suspects linked to drug smuggling ring arrested: DG ANF

At least 14 people involved in a drug smuggling gang, including Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) officials and former airport security officials, have been arrested, Director General (DG) Anti-Narcotics Force (ANF) Major General Mussarat Nawaz Malik said at a press conference on Friday. The suspects, who were allegedly involved in the smuggling of narcotics via PIA flights at London's Heathrow Airport and Islamabad's Benazir Bhutto International Airport (BBIA), had been apprehended with the help of surveillance footage, the DG ANF disclosed at the Rawalpindi ANF headquarters.Maj Gen Malik said that the arrest of a few more suspects would help establish the network's international links. "The capture of two more suspects will concretely determine their connections to those in London who have been facilitating the operation," he said, adding that raids are being conducted to arrest international suspects. The arrested suspects' remands have been obtained by the ANF, he said.The ANF head said an investigation into the smuggling operation was expedited when heroin was seized from a flight at BBIA. He also noted that most of the suspects who had been arrested were PIA employees.More than 100 PIA employees were put under surveillance following the smuggling incidents, as the ANF continue to investigate the matter, the DG ANF told reporters. He also announced that the suspected ringleader Arif Badshah had been arrested in Karachi Thursday night. Badshah had confessed to his crimes and stated that he was responsible for hiring people for the operation and for providing his accomplices with heroin to [Read More…]

Jun 172017
 
Murray talks up Bonding experience in traumatic times

LONDON: Iconic British secret agent James Bond’s ability to unite the British people is required now more than ever, tennis star Andy Murray said in a candid interview with The Times on Saturday. The 30-year-old defending Wimbledon champion was speaking about unity after a year in which the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union and suffered three deadly terror attacks as well as this week’s devastating fire in London. Murray, talking ahead of the key Wimbledon warm-up event at Queen’s which gets underway on Monday in London, told The Times: “Every time a new James Bond movie comes out everyone’s so pumped for it and we start comparing the Bonds. “People know James Bond as being a British icon. “With everything that’s happened over the last year, the country has a decision to make. “Does it divide us or does it bring us together. The closer together we become, the better it is for the country,” said Murray, who came out in support of a pro Scottish independence vote  in 2014. Murray, whose mother Judy joined him in being honoured by Queen Elizabeth II on Friday, said unlike Bond he craves to go unrecognised. “I don’t like being the centre of attention and obviously when you lose a match and there are lots of people around, you just want to go unnoticed,” he said. Murray has been promoting this weekend’s ‘The Great Get Together’ to honour the politician Jo Cox who was murdered a year ago. He agreed [Read More…]

Get Adobe Flash player