May 272017
 

CAIRO: The Islamic State group on Saturday claimed responsibility for shooting dead 29 Christians on a bus in central Egypt, an attack that prompted retaliatory air strikes on militants in neighbouring Libya. The shooting in the province of Minya on Friday, as the Coptic Christians were travelling on a bus to a monastery, was the latest in a series of attacks by IS that have killed more than 100 Copts since December. “A security detachment from the Islamic State carried out an attack yesterday in Minya,” the group’s self styled Amaq news agency reported. Egypt hits militants after attack on Christians kills 28 Masked gunmen in three pick-up trucks had attacked the bus as it was heading for Saint Samuel monastery in Minya province, more than 200 kilometres (120 miles) south of Cairo, before fleeing, according to the interior ministry. Egypt’s government said the shooting killed 29 people, and it responded by conducting air strikes on militant camps in the eastern Libyan city of Derna later on Friday. The bus attack followed two suicide bombings of churches in April that killed 45 Copts. In December, a suicide bomber struck a church in Cairo, killing 29 Copts. IS claimed all the bombings and threatened more attacks on the Copts, who make up about 10 percent of Egypt’s 90-million population. The post Islamic State claims deadly attack on Egypt Christians appeared first on The Express Tribune. Click for detailed story

Apr 182017
 

AFP: A policeman was killed and four more were wounded on Tuesday in a shooting outside St Catherine’s monastery in Egypt’s south Sinai, a security source said. The shooting occurred at a security checkpoint, the source said, but it was not immediately clear who had opened fire. No other information on the incident was immediately available. Khalid Abu Hashem, the health ministry official for South Sinai province, told state television that one person had been killed and four wounded. Palm Sunday church bombings claimed by IS kill at least 43 in Egypt The injured were in a stable condition and had been taken to hospital in the nearby Red Sea resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh, he said. St Catherine’s monastery, which lies some 500 kilometres  southeast of Cairo in the south of the Sinai peninsula, attracts thousands of visitors a year. Egypt is battling a militant insurgency in north Sinai that has killed hundreds of policemen and troops since the 2013 ouster of president Mohamed Morsi. In October 2015, the Islamic State group said it was behind the bombing of a Russian airliner carrying holidaymakers home from the popular south Sinai resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, killing all 224 people on board. The post Shooting at Egypt monastery kills policeman: security source appeared first on The Express Tribune. Click for detailed story

Apr 102017
 

VATICAN CITY: Pope Francis will visit Egypt as planned this month despite the weekend bombings of two Coptic Christian churches that killed 44 people, a Vatican official said. “There is no doubt the Holy Father will maintain his offer to go to Egypt” on April 28 and 29, Monsignor Angelo Becciu, the Holy See’s number three, said in an interview published in the Italian daily Corriere della Sera on Monday. “What happened caused disorder and tremendous suffering, but it cannot stop the pope’s mission of peace,” he added. Sunday’s bombings in churches in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria and Tanta north of Cairo were the deadliest attacks on the Coptic Christian community in recent memory and were claimed by the Islamic State militant group. Becciu, who will travel to Egypt with the pontiff, described the bombings as an “attack on dialogue, on peace”. State of emergency in Egypt after IS church bombings kill 44 “Egypt has assured us that everything will go as well as possible, so we will go confidently,” he said. The pope had also voiced his condolences Sunday for victims of the double bombing, which has led Egypt to declare a three-month state of emergency. “May the Lord convert the heart of those who sow terror, violence and death and also the heart of those who make weapons and trade in them.” Francis will become the second Roman Catholic pope to visit Egypt, following John Paul II’s historic trip there in February 2000. The Vatican’s slogan for the [Read More…]

Feb 252017
 

CAIRO, EGYPT: British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said he looked forward to boosting trade with Egypt in a meeting with President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in Cairo on Saturday, the presidency said. It is Johnson’s first visit as foreign secretary to Egypt, where UK company investments reached $30 billion in 2016, according to Britain’s Foreign Office. The visit came as Egypt pushes for a resumption of British flights to Sharm el-Sheikh, which were suspended following a militant bombing that killed 224 holidaymakers on board a Russian airliner departing the resort. UK foreign minister no longer has US citizenship “The two sides emphasised they would continue working on resuming flights from British airports to Sharm el-Sheikh,” the presidency said in a statement. Russia had suspended all flights to Egypt after the October 2015 bombing claimed by the Islamic State group. In the meeting Johnson said his country “looked forward to boosting economic and trade cooperation with Egypt,” the statement said. Earlier in February, the UK prime minister’s trade envoy Sir Jeffrey Donaldson visited Egypt with an economic delegation The post British FM Johnson talks trade with Egypt’s Sisi appeared first on The Express Tribune. Click for detailed story

Feb 042017
 
Egypt wishes to participate in CPEC, CPEC manifests integration from ‘Shores of Nile to soil of Kashghar’: Sardar Ayaz Sadiq

Islamabad, February 05, 2017 (PPI-OT): Speaker National Assembly Sardar Ayaz Sadiq has stated that Egypt’s participation in CPEC will assign substantive meanings to the ‘transcontinental game-changer’ project by connecting Sino-Pak economic corridor to Africa, Europe … … Click for detailed story

Get Adobe Flash player