Dec 262017
 
Warner posts Boxing Day Test century after no-ball reprieve

MELBOURNE: David Warner was handed a no-ball reprieve before posting a century to put Australia in a strong position over England on the opening day of the fourth Ashes Test in Melbourne on Tuesday.Warner, who had been marooned in the 90s for over 40 minutes, looked poised on 99 to bring up his century as he faced the last ball of debutant Tom Curran´s fifth over.But Warner top-edged a catch to mid-on and walked off to the jubilation of the England team, only for replays to detect a no-ball for Curran overstepping and Warner was called back to the crease. David Warner brings up his century at Melbourne, Australia v England, 4th Test, Melbourne, December 26, 2017/Getty Images The next ball Warner raised his hundred with a flick off his hip and celebrated by leaping into the air and ripping off his helmet to salute the huge Boxing Day crowd at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.Australia have already reclaimed the Ashes after taking an unassailable three-nil lead in the five-Test series and are chasing a 5-0 whitewash over the beleaguered tourists.At tea, Steve Smith was on five with Usman Khawaja on 10, and Australia 145 for two after winning the toss. England restricted the home side to just 43 runs from 26 overs in the middle session.Warner didn´t stay at the crease for much longer after his let-off, as he was caught behind off James Anderson for 103.Warner faced 151 balls and hit 13 fours and a six off Moeen Ali in [Read More…]

Dec 242017
 
Starc out, Bird in for Boxing Day Test against England

Starc is Australia´s leading wicket-taker in this series with 19 wickets MELBOURNE: Australia pace spearhead Mitchell Starc was on Sunday ruled out of the fourth Ashes Test with a heel injury and will be replaced by Jackson Bird.Starc, who is Australia´s leading wicket-taker in the series with 19, bruised his heel bowling in Australia´s series-clinching third Test win in Perth last week.There wasn´t enough time for him to recover from the injury to his landing foot, with team management officially ruling him out two days before Tuesday´s Melbourne Test.While Starc had been optimistic about his chances of playing, Australia´s selectors took a cautious approach with their star paceman ahead of a key series against South Africa early in the new year.Starc said he hoped to return for the series-ending Sydney Test on January 4.“It´s never nice to miss but it would be pretty selfish of me to go in to a game not at 100 percent,” he told reporters.“It´s nice that we have won the series and we can play it a little bit safer now.“I think the discussions (with selectors) lasted about 30 seconds… and it gives me a good chance now to have a bit of time off it over the next few days and give me a really good chance for Sydney.”Starc´s withdrawal continues his run of bad luck in the Melbourne Cricket Ground showpiece. He has played in just one Boxing Day Test since making his debut in 2011.Last year Starc scored 84 with the bat and [Read More…]

Dec 232016
 
Security increased for Boxing Day Test after Melbourne terror plot foiled

Cricket Australia (CA) said on Friday it is working closely with police over security for the Boxing Day Test match at Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) after a Christmas Day terrorist plot was foiled. A “significant” Daesh-inspired Christmas Day terror plot targeting central Melbourne with explosives was foiled after a series of arrests in raids across the city, police said Friday. Victoria Police chief commissioner Graham Ashton alleged those detained planned to also use knives and a gun to attack busy locations including Flinders Street train station, Federation Square and St Paul´s Cathedral. The targets of the alleged attack are all in the heart of the city – only a short distance from the MCG where up to 100,000 people are expected to attend the Boxing Day Test between Australia and Pakistan. “Our security team is in contact with the relevant authorities to ensure we have the appropriate level of security at the Boxing Day Test and other cricket matches being held around the country,” CA chief executive James Sutherland said in a statement. “The safety and security of our fans, players and officials attending any cricket match is our number one priority.” “We applaud Victoria Police for their efforts this morning in neutralising the threat and we will continue to work with the relevant authorities to ensure the highest security standards and protocols are maintained.” Nearly 10,000 people attended Friday’s Bupa Family Day at the MCG, with family entertainment and public appearances by Australian and Pakistan cricketers passing without incident. [Read More…]

Dec 292011
 

But the supremely crafted 73 in the first innings of the Boxing Day Test was vindication that not only is Tendulkar in good nick—and the coveted ton not too far away—but also that he was perhaps born only to play cricket. Not every cricketer is so …

Get Adobe Flash player