Sindh government is set to ask the federal government to arrest General (retd) Pervez Musharraf, who was declared an absconder by an anti-terrorism court earlier this week in former prime minister Benazir Bhutto’s murder case.
According to Sindh Minister for Information Nasir Hussain Shah, the provincial government will seek the former dictator’s arrest through Interpol.
Talking to journalists in Rohri on Sunday, Shah said efforts were made to erase evidence from the scene of the crime following the former prime minister’s murder.
“The way the police personnel have been sentenced proves Musharraf was responsible [for the murder],” said Shah. He added that the provincial government condemned the release of the militants who were acquitted by the court.
Hours before Shah’s statement, Musharraf said that he would return to Pakistan after recovering from his illness to face court in Benazir Bhutto’s murder case.
“There is no evidence of my involvement in the [Benazir murder] case other than [American journalist and lobbyist] Mark Siegel’s testimony,” he said.
On August 31, an anti-terrorism court (ATC) acquitted five accused for want of evidence in the Benazir assassination case while branding Musharraf a fugitive. The court also ordered confiscation of his property.
The post ‘Sindh govt to seek absconder Musharraf’s arrest through Interpol’ appeared first on The Express Tribune.