ISLAMABAD: Balochistan Home Minister Mir Sarfaraz Bugti claimed on Sunday that security forces have killed at least seven militants who were allegedly behind the brutal Mastung massacre that killed 22 people.
“The militants were killed after security forces carried out a search operation in the area,” Bugti told a news conference.
Further, he said, “500 personnel of Frontier Corps, police and Balochistan Levies took part in the targeted operation.”
“The operation, supervised by FC Inspector General Sher Afghan, would continue till all militants behind the Mastung carnage are arrested,” he added.
Gunmen on Friday kidnapped about 30 people from two coaches going from Pishin to Karachi in the Khad Khocha area of Mastung district and killed at least 19 of them. Three passengers later died in the hospital.
The Balochistan home minister had previously accused the Indian intelligence agency, Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), for being behind the attack.
Later, the banned United Baloch Army (UBA) claimed responsibility for the killings.
A UBA spokesperson, Mureed Baloch told newsmen on phone that the incident “is revenge for killing of militants in Mastung and Kalat areas by security forces”.
Balochistan has been facing unrest over the past several years due to attacks carried out by Baloch separatists and other militant organisations.
Media reports suggested that authorities have planned a Karachi-style targeted operation in Balochistan in the wake of sudden spike in attacks.
The post Seven militants linked to Mastung tragedy killed: Balochistan home minister appeared first on The Express Tribune.