Bollywood superstar Salman Khan, who is on bail over a deadly hit-and-run 13 years ago, was granted permission on Tuesday to travel to Dubai for a movie awards ceremony, reports said.
The actor was found guilty earlier this month of killing a homeless man with his SUV after a night out drinking in an upmarket bar in Mumbai in 2002.
A court on May 6 sentenced him to five years in prison for culpable homicide and other charges, including driving while under the influence of alcohol.
But two days later the Bombay High Court agreed to suspend the 49-year-old’s sentence pending an appeal.
The court granted Khan bail, ruling that he must secure its permission if he wants to leave India before the appeal hearing expected to take place in the next couple of months.
On Tuesday the court said he could attend the Arab Indo Bollywood Awards in Dubai on Friday, according to the Press Trust of India news agency.
“Salman shall furnish his travel plan, flight timing and number, address of the place where he will be staying in Dubai, his contact details including mobile number and landline number to the investigating agency,” the agency quoted Judge Shalini Phansalkar-Joshi as saying.
Khan has starred in more than 100 films and television shows but is no stranger to controversy. He spent over a week behind bars for killing an endangered Indian gazelle in 1998.
The actor claims he was not at the wheel when his Land Cruiser rammed into a group of homeless men sleeping rough on a pavement, killing labourer Nurulah Mahbob Sharif and injuring several others.
The High Court is due to reconvene on June 15 to set a date for the appeal hearing.