Nov 042017
 

KARACHI: Emerging Pakistan is a progressive initiative to build a positive image of the country and promote its culture internally and globally. The platform aims to showcase the very best of Pakistan’s art, crafts, fashion, culture and music.It will also shed light on diverse thriving sectors in Pakistan. The vision behind ‘Emerging Pakistan’ is to highlight select booming sectors of Pakistan’s fast-growing economy. The sectors in focus for this platform include those that have received the largest amounts of foreign direct investment (FDI) including power, construction, oil and gas and transport.To this end, the launch of ‘Emerging Pakistan’ was announced via a press meet in Karachi. Speaking at the press meet, Commerce Secretary Younus Dhaga said “Emerging Pakistan is a precursor to the 10th edition of Expo Pakistan 2017 being organized by the Ministry of Commerce and TDAP.” ‘Emerging Pakistan’ will be launched at an official event in Karachi this November 2017. Published in The Express Tribune, November 5th, 2017. Like Business on Facebook, follow @TribuneBiz on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation. The post ‘Emerging Pakistan’ initiative appeared first on The Express Tribune. Click for detailed story

Oct 312017
 

PESHAWAR: A jirga in Mardan district has expelled a community of local cooks from a village for increasing their charges by Rs100 for cooking a cauldron at weddings. The Social Welfare Committee in Kohi Barmol Katlang village asked 10 families to leave and urged the villagers through mosque loudspeakers to begin their social boycott. The men of the families have left for other places, while their children and women at home are facing hardship. One of the victims told The Express Tribune by phone that there was no food in his house for his family since the local shopkeepers had also been asked not to sell anything to them. He said the children of the ostracised families had stopped going to school because of fear of other villagers. He said the cooks had increased their charges from Rs200 to Rs300 owing to inflation, which led to the harsh decision by the local committee. “Our families are in a precarious situation and the government should take up the issue with the committee to allow us to stay in our homes,” he said, adding that their business had also been ruined as no one would hire them. Another cook, Anwar Saleem, living in Mardan city, said the committee had been taking decisions and working for the welfare of the village but this move had ruined his community’s lives. “The decision was taken on October 19 but we waited with the hope that the committee would withdraw it, but this hasn’t happened,” he said, [Read More…]

Oct 312017
 

Renowned Islamic preacher Mufti Ismail Menk has been barred from entering Singapore as the government accuses him of promoting religious discord through his sermons. Along with Menk, Malaysian scholar Haslin bin Baharim was also banned from giving lectures on a religious-themed cruise scheduled for late November in Singapore, Aljazeera reported on Tuesday. A statement issued by Singapore’s Ministry of Home Affairs said its decision to reject Menk’s application for a short-term work pass stemmed from his “segregationist and divisive teachings”, while Baharim promoted “disharmony between Muslims and non-Muslims”. According to the ministry, Menk – a Zimbabwean preacher with more than two million followers on Twitter – was of the opinion that Muslims were not allowed to greet people of other faiths on their religious festivals. Baharim, on the other hand, was accused of holding views that promote friction between Muslims and non-Muslims, whom he allegedly described as “deviant.” Bangladesh bans Zakir Naik’s Peace TV “[Their views] are unacceptable in the context of Singapore’s multi-racial and multi-religious society,” the ministry said, adding that, “They will not be allowed to get around the ban by preaching instead on cruise ships which operate to and from Singapore.” In a Facebook post earlier in the day, Menk said he had faced “no issues coming into Singapore as a tourist … but will not be joining the cruise now for reasons not within my control”. “To imply that I was using the cruise ‘to get around the ban by preaching instead on cruise ships which operate to and [Read More…]

Oct 312017
 

LONDON: When Tottenham clash with Real Madrid in the Champions League at Wembley on Wednesday, the glamour tie will provide the backdrop for a fascinating touchline duel between Mauricio Pochettino and Zinedine Zidane. Tottenham boss Pochettino and Madrid coach Zidane are both highly regarded managers who have assembled teams capable of winning Europe’s elite club prize, but the pair could not have taken more contrasting journeys to the top of their profession. Pochettino, 45, has enjoyed a remarkable transformation from journeyman Argentine defender to coveted coach while Zidane, who is the same age, is the French World Cup winner whose brilliance in his glittering playing career has been followed by more success in the dugout. The son of a Santa Fe farm worker, Pochettino was brought up with a tenacious work ethic that fuelled his rise from those humble roots. “As a boy, all I thought about was football, football, football. It was everything,” said Pochettino. Fighting to claw out a career as an uncompromising defender was no hardship for Pochettino, who made his professional debut with Newell’s Old Boys in 1988 and won the Argentine Primera Division in 1991. Pochettino’s rugged reputation earned him a move to Espanyol in 1994 but he toiled in relative anonymity in Spain, winning only the Copa del Rey in 2000. Zidane savoured some of his finest moments on the international stage but Pochettino won only 20 caps and his most memorable contribution was to concede the penalty that led to England’s 1-0 win over [Read More…]

Oct 312017
 

Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) senior leader and Opposition Leader in Senate Barrister Aitzaz Ahsan said failure to put deposed prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s name on Exit Control List (ECL) showed prevalent dual-standards in the country. Speaking to journalists in Lahore on Tuesday, he said National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Chairman Justice (retd) Javed Iqbal is a hardworking and law-knowing person. “His [NAB chief] biggest test is impartial accountability. He should prove himself through provision of indiscriminate justice,” he remarked. Citing recent arrest of former Sindh minister Sharjeel Inam Memon by NAB officials, Aitzaz said besides merit, manner and treatment must also be considered in court cases. Nawaz fears coming back after seeing how Sharjeel was treated: Aitzaz Accusing the anti-graft watchdog of double standards in dealing with Sindh and Punjab cases, the senator said PPP leader Dr Asim Hussain was given in Rangers’ custody and on the other hand, Sharif’s name was not even put on ECL. “This is double standards,” he added. Aitzaz demanded that Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief’s name should be put on ECL on his return home from London. The ousted premier, who held a key party meeting in London on Monday, has announced to return home before the next hearing at the accountability court on November 3. Arrest warrants have been issued against Sharif for not turning up at the court proceedings following his indictment in three different corruption references. No PML without ‘N’, say leaders Sharif was earlier expected to return to Pakistan on October 23 to attend court proceedings, [Read More…]

Oct 312017
 

KABUL: Washington has agreed to classify data on the number of Afghan security forces killed and wounded in the conflict, a US watchdog said, after months of soaring casualties and targeted attacks have eroded morale. The decision was slammed on Monday by the US government’s Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) John Sopko, who said it would hamper the watchdog’s ability to chart progress among US-funded Afghan troops. “USFOR-A said the casualty data belonged to the Afghan government, and the government had requested that it be classified,” Sopko said in the latest quarterly report documenting the use of US funds in Afghanistan. US ‘missile malfunction’ causes civilian casualties after Mattis visit to Kabul: NATO There was no immediate comment from US Forces or Afghan officials. Sopko said the move “will hinder SIGAR’s ability to publicly report on progress or failure in a key reconstruction sector”, noting that more than 60 percent of the roughly $121 billion in US funding spent since 2002 has gone on Afghan security forces. Casualties among Afghan forces in the early part of this year were “shockingly high” as they struggled to beat back the resurgent Taliban and other militant groups, SIGAR has said previously. They soared by 35 percent in 2016, with 6,800 soldiers and police killed, according to the watchdog. As of February only about 60 percent of Afghanistan’s 407 districts were reported to be under government control, SIGAR has said. Sopko said the decision was only the second time that the American military [Read More…]

Oct 312017
 

KABUL: A suicide bomber believed to be as young as 12 struck Kabul’s heavily fortified diplomatic quarter on Tuesday and killed at least four people, showing that militants can still hit the heart of the city despite tighter security. It was the first attack targeting the Afghan capital’s ‘Green Zone’ since a massive truck bomb ripped through the area on May 31, killing or wounding hundreds, and prompting authorities to strengthen protection. The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack, which follows a spate of suicide assaults by Taliban and IS insurgents on security installations and mosques in recent weeks. 150, 000 Americans couldn’t defeat us: Afghan Taliban leader A Western security source told AFP the attacker appeared to have been targeting workers leaving an Afghan defence ministry facility inside the heavily protected zone. “The suicide attack was carried out by an underage bomber, a boy we think 13 or 15 years old, killing at least four and wounding over a dozen more civilians,” interior ministry spokesperson Najib Danish told AFP. He added that the casualty toll could change. A police spokesperson said the attacker may have been as young as 12. Defence ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri said the attacker “made it through the first checkpoint but was stopped at the second checkpoint and detonated.” At least 12 Afghan security forces killed in suicide attack “We don’t know the target but it happened a few metres from the defence ministry’s foreign relations office. There were no casualties to our personnel,” [Read More…]

Oct 312017
 

SHANGHAI: The Chinese agency responsible for a 14-year-old Russian model who died in Shanghai said on Tuesday there is a growing demand worldwide for younger-looking girls in the fashion industry. Vlada Dzyuba died in hospital on Friday, sparking accusations that she had been overworked and underpaid during a two-month working stint in China that included Shanghai Fashion Week. Dzyuba’s Chinese agency ESEE Model Management has vehemently denied that the brunette teenager, who was to turn 15 on November 8 and died without her family at her side, had been exhausted by a punishing schedule. ESEE president Johney Zheng told AFP that Dzyuba was the youngest model his firm had represented in its 14 years and was part of an accelerating trend in the modelling industry. “Her face looked young because there is a new generation coming, so the brands always want that the models can look younger and younger because consumers in this internet age are getting younger and younger,” he said. “Fashion brands are focused on the young consumers, that means mostly high school and university students.” ESEE, which calls itself one of the biggest modelling agencies in China, provided a copy of a hospital certificate that gave the cause of Dzyuba’s death as a type of septicaemia, the invasion of bacteria into the bloodstream. 14-year-old Russian model collapses and dies after fashion show in China Initial reports in Russia said that Dzyuba died of meningitis — another type of meningococcal infection — compounded by exhaustion, but ESEE said doctors [Read More…]

Oct 312017
 

KARACHI: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is hoping to host Bangladesh and South Africa next year, with Afghanistan and Ireland having already shown interest in playing in Pakistan, claimed board chairman Najam Sethi. “Afghanistan and Ireland are ready to visit Pakistan next year but we are looking for the big names to come to Pakistan and play a full series here after we successfully hosted World XI and Sri Lanka in T20Is in Lahore,” said Sethi. “We hope that, after Sri Lanka’s visit, Bangladesh and South Africa will also come here next year. We can’t really say when, but we will try to host them some time in 2018.” After T20 success, Sri Lanka promises more Pakistan tours International cricket finally resumed in Pakistan as the first Test-playing nation came to the country, eight years on from the attack on the Sri Lankan team bus. The post Hope to bring Bangladesh, South Africa to Pakistan soon: Sethi appeared first on The Express Tribune. Click for detailed story

Oct 312017
 
Pictures of the day: October 31, 2017

Uber drivers protest against a legislation threatening the company’s business model that is to be voted in Brazil’s national congress, in Sao Paulo, Brazil. PHOTO: REUTERS Descendants of soldiers from the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) take part in a dress rehearsal of a re-enactment of the famous World War One cavalry charge known as “Battle of Beersheba”, Beersheba, Israel. PHOTO: REUTERS A farmer harvests rice on a field at Khokana in Lalitpur, Nepal. PHOTO: REUTERS A Philippine marine soldier takes a selfie with his phone during their arrival from Marawi at port area in metro Manila, Philippines. PHOTO: REUTERS A replica equestrian statue of King Edward VII is nudged into position by Jon McCurley of art duo Life Of A Craphead, allowing it to float down the Don River during a performance in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. PHOTO: REUTERS Rohingya refugee children collect water from a shallow well, dug from the sand outside their shelter at Uchiprang refugee camp near Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. PHOTO: REUTERS Residents who returned from evacuation centres walk past a bullet-ridden house in Basak, Malutlut district in Marawi city, Philippines. PHOTO: REUTERS A man prepares a hot air balloon during the 2nd Hot Air Balloon Carnival in Nanjing, Jiangsu province, China. PHOTO: REUTERS People enjoy windy weather with a walk along the river Weser in Bremerhaven, northern Germany. PHOTO: REUTERS A Palestinian man walks past a newly sprayed graffiti depicting US presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and US President Donald Trump on the controversial Israeli [Read More…]

Get Adobe Flash player