KARACHI: Emerging Pakistan is a progressive initiative to build a positive image of the country and promote its culture internally and globally. The platform aims to showcase the very best of Pakistan’s art, crafts, fashion, culture and music.It will also shed light on diverse thriving sectors in Pakistan. The vision behind ‘Emerging Pakistan’ is to highlight select booming sectors of Pakistan’s fast-growing economy. The sectors in focus for this platform include those that have received the largest amounts of foreign direct investment (FDI) including power, construction, oil and gas and transport.To this end, the launch of ‘Emerging Pakistan’ was announced via a press meet in Karachi. Speaking at the press meet, Commerce Secretary Younus Dhaga said “Emerging Pakistan is a precursor to the 10th edition of Expo Pakistan 2017 being organized by the Ministry of Commerce and TDAP.” ‘Emerging Pakistan’ will be launched at an official event in Karachi this November 2017. Published in The Express Tribune, November 5th, 2017. Like Business on Facebook, follow @TribuneBiz on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation. The post ‘Emerging Pakistan’ initiative appeared first on The Express Tribune.
PESHAWAR: A minor boy was killed and two other children were injured when a landmine exploded in the Tiyazara area of South Waziristan on Saturday. The three children were playing in the fields when the landmine went off. Shah Zeb died on the spot while the others were admitted to a hospital. Seven killed in Khuzdar mine blast Security forces have launched an investigation into the matter. A resident told The Express Tribune that scores of locals including children had been killed or injured in landmine blasts. He added that militants planted the devices to hamper the movement of security forces in the area during military operations. The post Child killed, two others injured in South Waziristan landmine blast appeared first on The Express Tribune.
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Thursday refused to tender an apology to Bangladesh over the controversial video shared on the Pakistani High Commission’s Facebook page that claimed that Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was not the one who declared independence in 1971. The video prompted the Bangladesh foreign ministry to summon Pakistan’s High Commissioner Rafiuzzaman Siddiqui to register protest and demand a formal apology from Pakistan. In an apparent tit for tat move, Pakistan summoned the Bangladesh High Commissioner to inform him that sharing a video by a third party could not be attributed to the Pakistan High Commission in Dhaka. Distancing itself from the video, the Foreign Office questioned the origin of the controversial clip and lodged a strong protest with the Bangladeshi envoy for using what it called ‘undiplomatic language in a Note Verbale’. In a statement, the Foreign Office said Pakistan had been pursuing a policy of maintaining friendly and cordial ties with Bangladesh. “Pakistan desires to move forward in accordance with the Tripartite Agreement of 1974.” At a news conference, the newly appointed spokesperson of the Foreign Office Dr Muhammad Faisal, who summoned the Bangladeshi envoy, the video was uploaded on the high commission’s Facebook page by someone else and was immediately deleted. “We sincerely hope that the bilateral relationship between Pakistan and Bangladesh will continue to move in the letter and spirit of the Tripartite Agreement of 1974,” Faisal added. Myanmar says Bangladesh dragging feet over repatriating Rohingya When asked whether Pakistan would tender any apology, the spokesperson without directly [Read More…]
KARACHI: World’s best ODI all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez underwent bowling actions test on Wednesday at the Loughborough University in England, after he was reported during the Sri Lanka series last month. Hafeez recently upstaged Bangladesh’s Shakibal Hasan as the top ODI all-rounder, just a day after he was reported for an illegal bowling action. Hafeez reported again for suspect bowling action According to sources, Hafeez was asked to bowl four overs during the bowling action test and the report is likely to arrive in two weeks. The 37-year-old has been reported twice earlier and came back after rectifying his action, which doesn’t allow you to bend your arm more than 15 degrees. Hafeez will face a suspension if he is found to be bowling with an illegal bend in his arm while delivering the ball. He will be asked to correct his action and then will be allowed to bowl in international cricket. Pakistan off-spinner Saeed Ajmal believes Hafeez is an important player for the Pakistan and that is why his action is observed so closely by so many. “Hafeez, who was named the top all-rounder, is one of the main players for Pakistan and should pass the test as his bowling plays a huge part in Pakistan’s victories,” he said. Hasan, Hafeez, Malik earn praise The off-spinner, who himself was reported for a suspected bowling action and then rectified it, added: “Hafeez has cleared his test before and he will do it again and will be allowed to bowl for the [Read More…]
LAHORE: Punjab University spokesman Khuram Shahzad denied reports which quoted Vice Chancellor Dr Zafar Moeen Nasir as saying that he refused to do some work requested by the Punjab Higher Education Minister. ‘Universities must be govt accredited’ The spokesman said the vice chancellor had not given any such statement or impression in his address during the varsity’s 135th anniversary celebrations. He said Minister Syed Raza Ali Gillani and Vice Chancellor Dr Nasir enjoyed good working relations, but some people were spreading rumours which went against the larger interest. Also, Dr Nasir said he has established a merit policy in the university and it would not be compromised at any cost. QAU among world’s top 500 universities He was addressing a ceremony organised by Directorate of Students Affairs to celebrate the 135th birth anniversary of PU at Faisal Auditorium on Tuesday. Students Affairs Director Shahid Gul, Deputy Director Zubair Akram, senior faculty members and a large number of students were present on the occasion. Published in The Express Tribune, November 1st, 2017. The post PU rubbishes rumours of noncooperation appeared first on The Express Tribune.
KARACHI: The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is hoping to host Bangladesh and South Africa next year, with Afghanistan and Ireland having already shown interest in playing in Pakistan, claimed board chairman Najam Sethi. “Afghanistan and Ireland are ready to visit Pakistan next year but we are looking for the big names to come to Pakistan and play a full series here after we successfully hosted World XI and Sri Lanka in T20Is in Lahore,” said Sethi. “We hope that, after Sri Lanka’s visit, Bangladesh and South Africa will also come here next year. We can’t really say when, but we will try to host them some time in 2018.” After T20 success, Sri Lanka promises more Pakistan tours International cricket finally resumed in Pakistan as the first Test-playing nation came to the country, eight years on from the attack on the Sri Lankan team bus. The post Hope to bring Bangladesh, South Africa to Pakistan soon: Sethi appeared first on The Express Tribune.
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan said on Wednesday it was ready to help the US in Afghanistan but would not act as the proxy for any county and urged Washington to get input from politicians and experts rather than the generals, who had already failed in the war-torn country. In a policy statement in the Senate, Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif said the US has provided Islamabad a list of 75 wanted persons, which did not include a single Pakistani citizen, while Pakistan has given a list of 100 criminals to the US and Afghanistan. On Tuesday Senate Chairman Raza Rabbani summoned the foreign minister to take upper house of Parliament into confidence over US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s visit to Afghanistan, Pakistan and India. Rabbani was irked by Tillerson’s remarks in Kabul on Monday in which he asked Pakistan to act on US demands. There is huge trust deficit between Pakistan, US over Afghan conflict: Khawaja Asif Asif told the house there was no Pakistani national in the list of 75 wanted persons provided by the US. “No Pakistani national, including Hafiz Saeed, is in this list,” he said, adding that the Haqani network is on the top and some were shadow governors of Taliban. “Many on the list are not alive,” he said. He added Pakistan had also handed a list of 100 people wanted by Islamabad to the US and Afghanistan and it had been conveyed to the President Donald Trump’s administration that any Indian role in Afghanistan would not be [Read More…]
QUETTA: At least 11 people, including four women and a child, were killed and 30 others injured on Tuesday night after a passenger coach and a lorry had a head-on collision on the Quetta-Taftan National Highway near Dalbandin in Chagai district of Balochistan. Levies officials said that a speeding Quetta-bound trailer coming from Taftan hit a coach carrying passengers to Taftan from Quetta. The incident occurred in the Laghab area of Dalbandin and left nine people dead on the spot and 35 others injured. Balochistan incident: 12 people killed in road accidents “Eleven people, including women and a child, died on the spot as the trailer bumped into the coach,” a senior Levies official said. Soon after the incident, the FC, police and Levies personnel rushed to the site and started rescue operation. They shifted the injured and the bodies to the district hospital. “Many of the injured are in critical condition,” hospital sources said, adding that critical cases were being shifted to Quetta. The death toll could rise in view of the condition of the injured passengers, a source added. Levies officials said that the incident occurred due to speeding. The driver of the trailer lost control over the vehicle and collided with the coach. Further investigation was in progress. The post 11 killed in Chagai accident appeared first on The Express Tribune.
KARACHI: The paramilitary force and Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) claimed on Sunday to have busted a newly emerged militant group – Ansarul Sharia Pakistan – allegedly involved in over half a dozen cases of terrorism, including the assassination attempt on the leader of the opposition in the Sindh Assembly, Khawaja Izharul Hassan. Security officials claimed to have killed at least eight militants of the group, including their commander in chief, while four of them are still at large. They said Hassan’s attack was a grave conspiracy to discredit the police and other law enforcement agencies. The eight militants were killed in a joint venture during a four-hour-long intelligence-based operation in Raees Goth, Baldia Town, which began at around 11pm on Saturday night. Two Rangers soldiers and one CTD personnel were also wounded. The killed terrorists were identified as group chief Sheharyar Warsi alias Abdullah Hashmi, Arsalan Baig, Saad Jamal, Kamran Riaz, Abu Bakar, Talha Ansari, Nihalul Haq and Hassan Haroon while the four absconders as Danish Rasheed, Junaid Rasheed, Abdul Kareem Sarosh Siddiqui and Muzammil. A huge cache of arms, ammunition, explosives, videos, video devices and jihadi material were also recovered, the law enforcers claimed. ‘Terror bid foiled’: Six militants killed in Karachi raid This was disclosed during a press conference held by Rangers Colonel Faisal Awan and CTD DIG Amir Farooqui at the Rangers headquarters Sunday evening. The officials also shared footage of the September 3 attack on Hassan. In the footage, Colonel Awan said that one of the attackers could [Read More…]
KARACHI: General (retd) Pervez Musharraf has said he will return to Pakistan before the general elections. The country needs a third force and we shall expel the thieves and those who plundered Pakistan from politics, the former military dictator and head of All Pakistan Muslim League said. He said that honest leadership will win with the support of the people. “Meetings will be held in Karachi Central and other areas. Pakistan’s future is bright,” he added. APML has demonstrated its political power in Karachi, Musharraf said while congratulating those who joined APML after leaving MQM, PSP, PPP, and other parties. He was addressing in absentia the inauguration ceremony of the APML’s office of Karachi Central in FC Area Liaquatabad. More than 1,000 workers of MQM, PSP, PPP, PTI, PML-F, and other parties announced that they were joining APML. Throw corrupt politicians out of country, says ex-military ruler Musharraf APML South Region President Ahmed Hussain inaugurated the office of the District Central. Aslam Minai, Imran Siddiqui, Muhammad Ali Sherwani, Syed Faraz Ali, Asif Khan, Tahir Khan, Salma Waheed Murad, and Najmi Meenai were also present. Musharraf said that he was happy to see the inauguration of the office of Karachi Central. “This is a public rally in Liaquatabad, which had been a stronghold of MQM. He said APML is not only of Muhajirs. Sindhis, Pathans, Punjabis, Pakhtuns, Baloch, and people from all religions and nations are joining APML, which is not limited to one single province as it is a national party.” [Read More…]